Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Weblog

I've started a weblog and I'm a bit uneasy about the whole thing. How does one approach "blogging"? It's an online diary, a journal, a place to write down my thoughts. But unlike a common bound paper book, this is out there for all to see.

I've read blogs that speak frankly and even with inappropriate abandon about the people who pass through the blogger's life, and they seem comfortable with the world knowing all intimate details of their life. Granted, some of these are so intimate that I question the level of creative liberty that went into them. They end up reading like episodes of Sex and the City, or a daytime soap. I'm impressed that these writers can be so open about their lives, and yet it seems to me as if they are posting as though they need public approval for all the intimate details in their lives. Or maybe they view personal discretion as a weakness. I don't know.

Other writers appear very focused on a single facet of their life, be it their zeal for boating, an unnatural love for Captain James T. Kirk, or simply what their dog's been up to this week. I also admire these people -- specifically their level of passion and focus, and yet with few or no references to the other events in their life, I also can't help but wonder what else is going on in their lives.

I hope that I can go forth writing while balancing specific interests, like my work, sculpture, and running, with general issues surrounding my relationships. Hopefully I can do this without really ticking anyone off. I guess I'll just see what I'm comfortable with and let the writing play out for itself.

Welcome to my blog.

Labels:

0 Comments:

<< Home