Easter Sunday
A couple of strange things happened on my run in the park on Sunday. Of course, when you're in the park for that long (23.4 miles takes awhile), something is bound to happen. First, I think some girl was trying to race me, which reminded me of a friend's blog entry a while back. Each time I would just casually pass her, she would suddenly pick up the pace and cut in front of me. I guess she didn't know I was doing "long, slow distance" and so after the fourth time or so I just picked it up and lost her easily.
Second, as I was on my third loop, I realised there was someone running close behind me, so I stepped aside to let him go by. He followed me. So I zigged over to the other side of the rec lane and he did the same, and when I zagged back again, I believe he became aware that I was now onto him... He was drafting me. Coming up to a water fountain when this happened, I stepped off to take a drink, and more importantly, let him pass. When he went by, he waved an gave me a look as if to say, "no harm done, right?" I didn't wave back. When I passed him again a short distance later, he stayed behind.
Now, I've never tried to use anyone for drafting before, and wouldn't without their permission. I also don't see any point of drafting during a training run, because in a training run you're not suppose to be trying to cut back your time by lessening your exertion. If you wanted to do that, just knock a quarter mile off your run. If you're trying to practice drafting on a training run so that you can use it in a race, do it with someone you know, otherwise it's just rude. blah.
And that's my rant for the day.
Second, as I was on my third loop, I realised there was someone running close behind me, so I stepped aside to let him go by. He followed me. So I zigged over to the other side of the rec lane and he did the same, and when I zagged back again, I believe he became aware that I was now onto him... He was drafting me. Coming up to a water fountain when this happened, I stepped off to take a drink, and more importantly, let him pass. When he went by, he waved an gave me a look as if to say, "no harm done, right?" I didn't wave back. When I passed him again a short distance later, he stayed behind.
Now, I've never tried to use anyone for drafting before, and wouldn't without their permission. I also don't see any point of drafting during a training run, because in a training run you're not suppose to be trying to cut back your time by lessening your exertion. If you wanted to do that, just knock a quarter mile off your run. If you're trying to practice drafting on a training run so that you can use it in a race, do it with someone you know, otherwise it's just rude. blah.
And that's my rant for the day.


3 Comments:
Gaaaah. That bugs me. At this point, if someone's racing me and I don't feel like pushing it, I'll deliberately slow way, way down to force him or her to pass. For drafters, I zigzag like you did or drop back. If they're really annoying, sometimes I ask them in a really loud voice to stop drafting. If nothing else works, that one usually will.
Hey, that story would expand well. You could turn it into a newsletter article if you wanted to.
I'm just saying.
Yeah, first time I was ever drafted. It was really weird. I feel so used.
And he probably didn't respect you in the morning, either. ;-)
<< Home