More about Medley
I don't have much to say today, so I thought I'd post about Medley. Here's a photo:

Medley is the only one on my blog who doesn't go under an alias of some sort. She doesn't try to hide who she is. A fine domestic shorthair; a tortie (tortoise shell) in colouring. Note the mottled orange on black. I swear she's got the blood of a tiger running through those viens!
I've had Medley for almost three years now. I had made a new year's resolution in 2004 to get a cat (I try to make three fairly manageable resolutions each year, but I'll save that discussion for another post). I got her from a shelter in West Orange, NJ on January 9th. Apparently, during the previous September, there was a guy in a supermarket parking lot with a box of four kittens, trying to give them away, and a woman from the local shelter picked them all up. At the shelter, they were named Peace, Hope, Faith and Charity (I know -- puke!). They all looked pretty much the same, they were all torties and subsequently were all females. I picked up Faith at first, but she was squirmy and didn't want me to hold her. Charity was just cool as a cucumber, laying down and kickin' back in the cage. I picked her up and she purred when I held her. That was good enough for me.
It took me two days to come up with a name for her. I wanted something to reflect her patchy colouring. An online thesaurus brought me loads of words, among them "mosiac," "puzzle," "mixture," and "medley." And that was that.
Anyway, she's been protecting me against rodents, bugs, and other vermin ever since. Note how, even in her seemingly relaxed state, her claws protrude slightly, ready to extend in defense or attack mode. Truly, she is a powerful force to be reckoned with in the apartment!
And c'mon - you have to admit she's also really cute!

Medley is the only one on my blog who doesn't go under an alias of some sort. She doesn't try to hide who she is. A fine domestic shorthair; a tortie (tortoise shell) in colouring. Note the mottled orange on black. I swear she's got the blood of a tiger running through those viens!
I've had Medley for almost three years now. I had made a new year's resolution in 2004 to get a cat (I try to make three fairly manageable resolutions each year, but I'll save that discussion for another post). I got her from a shelter in West Orange, NJ on January 9th. Apparently, during the previous September, there was a guy in a supermarket parking lot with a box of four kittens, trying to give them away, and a woman from the local shelter picked them all up. At the shelter, they were named Peace, Hope, Faith and Charity (I know -- puke!). They all looked pretty much the same, they were all torties and subsequently were all females. I picked up Faith at first, but she was squirmy and didn't want me to hold her. Charity was just cool as a cucumber, laying down and kickin' back in the cage. I picked her up and she purred when I held her. That was good enough for me.
It took me two days to come up with a name for her. I wanted something to reflect her patchy colouring. An online thesaurus brought me loads of words, among them "mosiac," "puzzle," "mixture," and "medley." And that was that.
Anyway, she's been protecting me against rodents, bugs, and other vermin ever since. Note how, even in her seemingly relaxed state, her claws protrude slightly, ready to extend in defense or attack mode. Truly, she is a powerful force to be reckoned with in the apartment!
And c'mon - you have to admit she's also really cute!
Labels: Medley


5 Comments:
Poor Medley. The day you moved in, she spent the first couple of hours hiding behind the toilet. I'm glad she's made herself at home now. She is an excellent cat!
You're right: Medley is a way cooler name than Charity!
you know what they say about a black cat crossing your path... :-p
just kidding. she's a cutie. (of course I think all cats are cute. I'm more a cat person than a dog person.)
Sister smile, how things change! Medley's gone from behind the toilet to runnin' the place!
Medley likes her name too, brunettechicagogal. She actually comes when I call her, too. (Okay, so it took some serious training to do that.)
nyflygirl, good to know so that I won't give you a puppy for your birthday! I like both dogs and cats, but it depends on the individual pet. I've met a whole lot of both canine and feline jerks out there.
You can give me a puppy on my birthday! :) Medley is a great name. It is one of those rare non-human/fit-for-a-pet type names that has a nice ring to it. And yeah, she's definitely cute!
<< Home