Monday, November 20, 2006

Races

I have to say that helping out at NYC really got me motivated to run and race again. I have been devouring six months of running mags that I hadn't read since the injury (I'm not sure, but I think both my subscriptions may have run out...), and I've also been keeping up a good 30-35 mile per week running base. Since the Staten Island Half, I've been doing 13+ miles on my weekly long runs. This has generally been a pretty good distance for a long run, but after many of them, at least for the next day or so, my hip has been feeling pretty tight. So I've been a little gun-shy about increasing mileage and more than a little worried about targeting another marathon. However, yesterday I squeezed 14.4 miles into my long run, and not only has it been my longest run since the spring, but my hip feels fine today. While I don't expect to never feel any tightness ever again, it gives me a renewed sense of confidence that things are getting better.

And with that, I've taken the plunge and began thinking about new goals for my running. I've been wanting to do a 5-miler for a long time, and the only one coming up that I could find is a Turkey Trot in Westfield on Saturday the 25th. This would be fine - Westfield's a really nice town and all - but it's still a bit of an inconvenient train ride just to run for a half hour, so I've been reluctant to register. Lucky for me, though, there's construction in Central Park on the Terrace Drive, so yesterday when I logged on to NYRR's site, I found out that the Holiday 4-miler has been changed to a Holiday 5-miler on Dec. 2nd. I think this is one of the first times I've been happy about landscape construction outside of keeping me employed. So I signed up for that race and the following 15k on the 16th. There's a 10k on the 9th, which is also a points race, but I don't have any interest in doing a 10k at the moment, and I think running three races three weekends in a row a when I'm just returning to competition is a bit daft.

Heading into the winter is always a challenge for me, as I often find myself too wimpy to go run outside in January when it's 10 degrees out. So I've decided to do my next marathon at the end of March, hoping that it keeps me motivated to keep up my training through the cold weather. I'm giving myself another week or so until the end of November to decide, but right now it's come down to two choices. First, there's the Ocean Drive Marathon in Cape May. This would be relatively close to home - I could rent a car and just get a hotel for a night. Plus I've only driven through Cape may once after taking the ferry from Delaware, and it would be a nice, scenic race. My other, more preferred choice is the inaugural ING Georgia Marathon in Atlanta. My cousin lives in Atlanta, and I could make this more of a vacation as well. I'm used to hot, humid marathons anyway (I'm three for three in running 26.2 miles in above-68 degree weather, so why stop now?). The elevation chart looks challenging, too, so I might end up doing this one as a long training run and do the NJ Marathon as a race a month later. We shall see.

I'd actually entertained the idea of doing the Bataan Memorial Death March Marathon at the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. Then I came to my senses. It's just not the first marathon that someone should do coming off of an injury, I would think. It sounds like a great experience, though, so I'll look at it again for next year.

At any rate, it's good to be looking ahead at upcoming races again.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger brunettechicagogal said...

'Tis good, indeed. I think our respective hips might always give us a little trouble here and there. As you know, it's about the maintenance. I've been bad about doing my hip strengthening exercises and stretches in the past few weeks, but your post reminds me that I need to get back to them.

11/20/06, 12:30 PM  
Blogger A little about me... said...

Well, I'm glad someone is happy about the longer NYRR Holiday Run cause I wasn't. This is the second time they've done this. Why can't they change a run and make it shorter for a change? grin.

11/20/06, 5:14 PM  
Blogger runner26 said...

Glad to hear you're getting back into it. Planning for future races always gives me a renewed sense of motivation. And it lets me think about the warmer weather to come (yeah, winter's not even here yet and i'm already waiting for spring...)
My choice would probably be the Georgia--vacations around marathons (or vice versa) are always preferable.

11/20/06, 6:39 PM  
Blogger Liam said...

Great meeting you - And especially now I know how hungover you and Medley really were :)

Planning ahead myself, Connemara for me, then maybe I could make the trip for the Flying Pig in May, and a lay-over in NY of course.

11/21/06, 5:00 AM  
Blogger Skylight said...

bcg - yep, gotta keep up those stretches! very important!

Chelly - I think it's tough to go shorter from a 4-mile, because in order to do that in Central Park, it has to be a 5k out-and-back course. With the number of NYRR race participants, that totally takes up the entire width of the drives, so it doesn't work well when there are other users in the park. This time, it just worked out in my favour.

runner26 - Can't wait till spring either, and yes, I'm definitely leaning towards Georgia just for the vacation value.

Liam - umm, Medley doesn't drink. Good to meet you too, and see you again on your next World Tour!

11/21/06, 1:04 PM  

<< Home