Man, that was ugly.
By that title, I don't mean my race performance at Staten Island, I mean the course. I've not seen so much chain link fence, razor wire, and so many parking lots on a race course before. I think that, unless I'm going for the full five Grand Prix races in the future, I'll be skipping this one next year. However, it was quite a flat course, so I could see it being good for setting P.R.s for people.
I actually had a very good run, though, returning from injury and the deadly cold virus of the last couple weeks. I think the cold still affected me, as I still have a nagging cough and it was really coming back periodically today.
I went out pretty hard, really just to see what I could do. You may recall my watch died two weeks ago, so I tracked my splits on my Nano (The Nano has a stopwatch as part of its "Extras" features). That took a little getting used to, but worked pretty well, and the iPod list all the results and averages at the end of the race just like my watch does (er, did). I kicked off at about a 7 min. pace, and gradually slowed, so that my last two mile splits were 8:20 and 8:15, and my net was 1:41:01, or 9.5 mins. slower than my P.R at Queens. It would've been nice to finish sub-1:40, but I was good with this finish. My longest run prior to this and since Vermont was 11 miles two weeks ago, so I was happy just to be able to run the whole thing to the finish, minus two water stops that I walked through. I was tempted to just stop and walk the last mile, but pressed on, and I'm glad I did. A really tough slog, having not run such a distance in something like five months.
That finishes my week of running at 30.0 miles. My plan is to work up to 35 over the next couple of weeks and level off there for the winter, until I decide on a marathon tho start training for. Maybe Jersey Shore in the spring, but we'll see.
I actually had a very good run, though, returning from injury and the deadly cold virus of the last couple weeks. I think the cold still affected me, as I still have a nagging cough and it was really coming back periodically today.
I went out pretty hard, really just to see what I could do. You may recall my watch died two weeks ago, so I tracked my splits on my Nano (The Nano has a stopwatch as part of its "Extras" features). That took a little getting used to, but worked pretty well, and the iPod list all the results and averages at the end of the race just like my watch does (er, did). I kicked off at about a 7 min. pace, and gradually slowed, so that my last two mile splits were 8:20 and 8:15, and my net was 1:41:01, or 9.5 mins. slower than my P.R at Queens. It would've been nice to finish sub-1:40, but I was good with this finish. My longest run prior to this and since Vermont was 11 miles two weeks ago, so I was happy just to be able to run the whole thing to the finish, minus two water stops that I walked through. I was tempted to just stop and walk the last mile, but pressed on, and I'm glad I did. A really tough slog, having not run such a distance in something like five months.
That finishes my week of running at 30.0 miles. My plan is to work up to 35 over the next couple of weeks and level off there for the winter, until I decide on a marathon tho start training for. Maybe Jersey Shore in the spring, but we'll see.
Labels: races


5 Comments:
Don't forget all the beer and sausage from the night before, plus the carousing afterwards. I'd say it was a grand return to racing. Well done, my friend.
Wow; 1:41 is nothing to sniff at, especially considering both how sick you were going into the race and your recent comeback from an injury. Good going!
the first half after a long(ish) running layoff is TOUGH. i remember struggling big time in brooklyn. but you still put up a great time.
i too wasn't impressed with the course...probably will only revisit if i need to get in a long run outside of CP.
Thanks for the great comments. It was a good race indeed!
What an awesome race for your first one back! You seemed pretty strong, despite recently getting over being sick. Well done!
<< Home