Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Montreal

The wedding was good fun, and even though it was a couple of my favourite people getting married, I didn't expect it to be. I actually was worried about some personality clashes that I was going to have, particularly at our table. I was told whom I'd be sitting with prior to the evening, but apparently it wasn't an accurate list. The personality clashes were there, but substantially less than I had anticipated, and we had a great time. Table Number Five Rocked!

I stayed in what I figured out later to be the second most swankiest hotel that I had ever stayed in, which was near the even swankier hotel where the ceremony and reception took place.

Now, let me just say I hate wedding ceremonies. Th best wedding ceremony I attended was in Princeton a few years back. It was over in 15 minutes. Outside the church, I mentioned to the groom's sister: "Boy, that was quick." Her response:"Oh yeah, they know no one wants to sit through that shit." Bingo. But this one, although it was longer than 15 minutes, was nice. Especially when we could have a glass of wine before, and hang on to it during, the ceremony. And when the reading is Leonard Cohen, you just can't beat that.

And normally I hate white wedding dresses, too. Normally they're all poofy and frilly, and make the bride look like a big, fat marshmallow. This bride's dress was slim-fitting and elegant, though, and she did indeed look very beautiful.

Dinner was, given the holiday, Thanksgiving-themed: Turkey. However, it was very tastefully done, and not the gobs of gravy and mashed potatoes you'd normally get with the family at home. Don't get me wrong, though -- I love my pile of meat and stuffing on Thanksgiving! Dessert consisted of three different flavours of crème brûlée. Yum.

I drank white wine, mainly because I involuntarily smuggled much of it in from America (Don't ask), and therefore felt, to at least some degree, obliged. I did have a couple of beers later, mingled with a couple of shots. Luckily, my hangover did not at all reflect the quantity of alcohal I consumed.

The most striking thing you might notice the next time you see me is that I now have no ass. The reason: I danced it off! Yes, the tunes played and the dancing ensued! Good times all around!

Of note at the wedding was that my most recent ex-girlfriend was there, with her new guy, who is a friend of the groom. I have to say I was a little nervous about this. I knew they were dating, but hadn't seen them together. In fact, since they started dating, I'd been e-mailing her, but had only seen him out with the group. Upon meeting him, and hearing about their recent coupling, I had told my friends who set them up (the bride and groom) that they were clearly perfect together. This I didn't doubt, but I was wondering about any emotions I might have in seeing them together, or how she might act toward me. But no worries, things were very relaxed and we go on very well together. In fact, I'd have to say that she's currently my favourite ex. I say that after having dinner with another one a couple of weeks ago, whom I hadn't seen in nearly five years. But that's another story...


I drove back on Sunday with a good friend of mine after going out for breakfast and doing some quick shopping around downtown. The crossing through Homeland Security at the border went smoothly, although the officer asked me many more questions about where I lived and worked, and how long I had lived and worked there, than usual before processing my paperwork. Once I paid my fees, I headed back home to NYC, all set to live here for yet one more year.

It was a great weekend.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger brunettechicagogal said...

Wow. Lots jammed into that one wedding. I can absolutely relate to seeing an ex who's recoupled. Even if you're "over" that person, it can be difficult or strange. I saw an ex-boyfriend 7 years after we broke up, and he was with a girl who I saw only from afar (by the time I got up close, she'd gone into a store). But it was still a wee bit jarring. I think it has to do with the degree to which that person meant something to us at the time we were with them. Glad this situation wasn't awkward or a bummer for you.

10/11/06, 10:57 PM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Welcome back, my friend. I can't believe they let you back in. ;-)

10/12/06, 7:23 AM  

<< Home