Am I Crazy?
Don't answer that.
Alright, let me start by saying that I really like the new NYFlyers Fall Marathon shirt design for 2006. I don't know who designed it, but it's a nice layout, easy to read, and they fit in those four city icons very smartly. It sure beats the crap out of the shirt I designed for the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge back in June, that's for sure (...and I'm a designer, too). Anyway, take a gander at the shirt if you haven't already seen it:

Now, the design is all well and good, but there's something that's been gnawing at me a bit since I first saw it. Is it supposed to go on the back of the shirt or the front? Does the Flyers logo go on the other side? The point I'm questioning is: If it's the New York Flyers Marathon shirt, why doesn't it have the words "New York Flyers" or "Marathon" anywhere on it?
Can someone please clarify this for me, so that I can be all embarassed that I missed something obvious here? I will shamefully delete this post, run away with my tail between my legs, and act like I never questioned the wisdom of the Flyers.
Then again, don't get me started on the Flyers' logo...
Alright, let me start by saying that I really like the new NYFlyers Fall Marathon shirt design for 2006. I don't know who designed it, but it's a nice layout, easy to read, and they fit in those four city icons very smartly. It sure beats the crap out of the shirt I designed for the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge back in June, that's for sure (...and I'm a designer, too). Anyway, take a gander at the shirt if you haven't already seen it:

Now, the design is all well and good, but there's something that's been gnawing at me a bit since I first saw it. Is it supposed to go on the back of the shirt or the front? Does the Flyers logo go on the other side? The point I'm questioning is: If it's the New York Flyers Marathon shirt, why doesn't it have the words "New York Flyers" or "Marathon" anywhere on it?
Can someone please clarify this for me, so that I can be all embarassed that I missed something obvious here? I will shamefully delete this post, run away with my tail between my legs, and act like I never questioned the wisdom of the Flyers.
Then again, don't get me started on the Flyers' logo...


12 Comments:
If we're staying consistent with prior years, the Flyers logo goes on the front and this design goes on the back. Good point about the word "Marathon" not being present. That didn't occur to me, frankly. I have no answer for that one.
SS is right-the Flyers logo is on the front, and this design is on the back. As for why "marathon" is not present, ask Mr. President about that one :)
Interesting that you should post about this. I was just perusing the Flyers T-shirts online last night, and I was sort of confused when I saw this one, although I was too tired to realize why. But you nailed it: my eyes were looking for "Flyers" (thanks to SS and Flygirl for pointing out where the logo goes). As for the word "marathon," maybe the implication is that if you're a runner, you know what "The Fall Four" refers to and don't need the shirt to state the obvious???
Thanks for clarifying the logo-on-the-front thing. Still, it seems strange that there's no reference at all to the Flyers on the back, like last year's shirts or any of the relay singlets. I'm thinking that during a marathon, most people who read your shirt are behind you, so it would be good to advertise the club that way.
bcg, I've never heard the phrase "The Fall Four" before I read it on this shirt. Cool phrase, although I doubt it'll catch on unless those marathons actually establish some kind of formal relationship with each other, like the World Marathon Majors. And let's face it, there are just too many other popular fall marathons for it to catch on anyway.
That said, I'll reiterate that I do think it's a good looking design. I'd actually think about getting one if I didn't already have 17 red cool max shirts in my collection already.
I've been reduced to an acronym. I didn't recognize my own moniker there for a minute!
I hadn't heard that phrase, either. I'm just pretending to be in the know. ;->
And now that I think about it, were those 4 races officially designated as the Big Fall Four by NYRR or the Flyers? I feel so out of the marathon loop!
Glad I'm not the only one who pretends to know something. Notice how I slyly inserted "World Marathon Majors" into my post to indicate how up on things I am?
And yes, "bcg" is what you get for choosing a six-syllable username. Hehee.
I was so looking forward to getting one of these...guess I'll be waiting til next year.
For the record, I've never heard of the term "The Fall Four"--it must be newly coined?
Get the shirt anyway!! I got the marathon shirts the last 2 years and I sure as hell wasn't running any marathons :)
and the term "Fall Four" i think was a joint collaboration between Mr. President and the shirt's designer...
Nah. Marathon shirts aren't really that important to me anyway. And like I said, I have way too many red shirts already. Even my VT Marathon shirt is red.
"Fall Four" or not, I'm curious as to who created the cool design. I'll have to inquire with our esteemed leader.
oh, the "get the shirt anyway" comment was for runner26 :)
and if you really want to know who the designer was, it's a certain super-fast redheaded gal that beat almost all the Flyer men at Club Champs ;-) Does that give it away...?
nyflygirl--i should get it! I ran 2 out of the 4 at one time or another. You are a good saleswoman :)
skylight--Didn't you know, red shirts are all the rage ;)
Why do you think I have so many of them - I'm a trendsetter, baby!!!
And NYFlygirl, thanks for taking the bait on that last comment of mine -- I knew you would...
<< Home