Friday, September 22, 2006

Staten Island

As I had mentioned in an earlier post (I'm far too lazy to find it and link to it), I was thinking of doing a half in October, and it's basically come down to the 15th, as there aren't any local Halfs ("Halves"? Not sure on that one.) after that date, and that's pretty much the earliest I think I could do one with my present level of increasing mileage.

A friend invited me to stay at his "beach house" (it's really not even near the beach, but it's in the community) down the shore in Jersey, and do the Seaside Park Half that day. I hadn't responded to his invite, telling him that I was thinking about Staten Island as an alternative. Although Seaside Park is a flatter course, smaller field, and runs along the beach, Staten Island's the only borough I haven't done yet, so I kind of wanted to get it over with. And the fact that Seaside Park has a flatter course isn't that much of an issue, since I'm not at the level to set any PRs anyway. It would be nice to get out of the city, though.

However, because I'm so incredibly popular, another friend invited me to a party here in NYC on the evening of Saturday the 14th, and without thinking too much about it except that I'd like to go, I immediately said yes.

So I guess the decision is made. Since I'll be sticking around New York that weekend, I might as well hit the other island borough for the half. Hopefully I'll be able to restrain myself from going out too fast on this one. It's not like it's going to be another Queens for me. At least I'm glad that I have a race to look forward to now. I'm doing the 5th Ave. mile next week, but I've done it before, and one mile is hardly worth getting out of bed for.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger brunettechicagogal said...

Sigh. Still don't think I'm ready for a big race. My mileage wasn't that high pre-injury anyway, so it'll be awhile before I make a half my goal. I'm glad that you feel up for one, though, oh popular one. Just don't get too tanked the night before!

9/22/06, 8:37 PM  

<< Home