Sunday, January 28, 2007

An awarding - but more importantly, rewarding - event



The New York Flyers Awards Gala was a fun Saturday night, although a bit too much fun in some ways. Note to self: open bar does NOT mean "drink as much as you can". Yeesh.

I recall dancing badly: inebriation and coordination may rhyme, but they don't give you good rhythm. A fellow Flyer told me I was dancing like a Ukrainian. She's good at making those little comments that don't quite insult, but definitely don't come off as compliments, either. Oh, and she, like myself, is of Ukrainian ethnicity. No comment.

I did get an award though, and it capped off a very good year with the club. There were friends I wished could be there but weren't, and there were others I hadn't seen in awhile that were good to see again and share the event with. It was a fine night. I even bought a new tie for it.

I needed the break from work. It's been so busy at the office these last two weeks, and on top of having to assemble the monthly newsletter, I've suddenly been deluged with e-mails copying the exec board on everything from the weekly Flyers updates, to member surveys, to comments on meeting minutes. I never thought I'd hear the word "policy" so much in my life, especially when it comes to what basically amounts to an athletic hobby. It's a running club folks, not Parliament! We're here to run and have fun!

I am partly kidding with those comments, of course. I do realize the huge effort involved in running the largest local running club in New York City, and that there are a lot of members to make happy. Everyone involved put together a hell of an awards party, and they've done a hell of a job with the club in its twenty years of existence. As our esteemed lifetime achievement award recipient said last night, "Look how far you've come."

Indeed, and I hope to also contribute, so as to take us even farther, wherever that may be...

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I just came across this post. Congratulations on your award!

2/14/07, 1:33 PM  

<< Home