melancholy
I realise we all have our ups and downs in life, and considering just how up I've been for the last few months I was pretty-well due for a good down. It was an interesting weekend: a holiday party Friday night, a holiday party Saturday afternoon and another holiday party Saturday Night.
In the middle of all that, I tried to race the 10-miler in Central Park on Saturday morning. I was hungover from Friday night, and frankly, I can't believe I even made it to the start. By the time I was two miles into the race, I knew it was going to be bad. I decided to do the first loop and call it a day. In the end, I added the Great Hill loop to the north, and made it back to my apartment with about 8.5 done for the day. I wanted to do 16 total, but it just wasn't happening for me, and I also ended up bailing on Jonathan, who was going to run with me for another four. I felt bad for doing that, but he seemed pretty nice about it. Turns out his race was just the opposite of mine: this was going to be my tenth PR for the year (how awesome would that have been???); instead it was my very first DNF ever.
At least I did make it out, and I ran off most of the hangover, so I was just left with a mild headache by the time I got to my next party at 1:00 PM. It was my office party, and we had an early afternoon dinner at Angelo and Maxie's, followed by drinks out at a pretty generic pub nearby.
Both soirées on Friday and Saturday were hosted by runner-friends. Friday night I brought a non-running friend to a running party, but I'm not to sure if I'll do that again. That "worlds colliding" phenomenon, I guess. My friend left early, but I stayed on for another couple hours and a few more beers, resulting in the aforementioned hangover. Ugh. Both nights were fun, though, and made me think how much I love the running crowd.
Sunday I kicked back for most of the day, and then grabbed a beer with a friend in the West Village. Cool, easy night.
Today however, I'm down a bit. After a lousy running week last week, I'd hoped to start this one off on the right track, and join the Flyers group run in the park tonight. For some reason, however, I've found myself typically getting really busy at this time of year, and recently has been no exception. I ended up staying late, and missing my run tonight. Try again tomorrow, I guess.
Pile on top of the workload Christmas shopping, and there's just no fun to be had. I actually screwed up one of my nephew's gifts, so now it won't get there until after the 25th. Bad Uncle Skye. Christmas also means broke: the wallet goes on a diet and the credit card bill fattens up terrifically. My bills every year at this time include travel to Winnipeg, but also a wedding when I go. I'm actually skippinng the Christmas visit, as my friend's walk to the alter happens the first weekend in the New Year.
What else has brought about this gloom? Well, in three days the fall is officially over and we enter the dead of winter. Even though the weather has been more than wonderful, I know that it just can't last and the real cold is on its way. I just plain don't like the season. I suppose if there's one bright side, it's that the days will gradually start getting longer. Not sure which I dislike more about the winter - the darkness or the cold. Nah, it's definitely the cold.
Yep, today I'm in the dumps.
If you're a runner, you might think that a DNF is enough to bring anyone down, but that's not the only thing that did it. More to come, as long as I get a chance to post again sometime soon.
In the middle of all that, I tried to race the 10-miler in Central Park on Saturday morning. I was hungover from Friday night, and frankly, I can't believe I even made it to the start. By the time I was two miles into the race, I knew it was going to be bad. I decided to do the first loop and call it a day. In the end, I added the Great Hill loop to the north, and made it back to my apartment with about 8.5 done for the day. I wanted to do 16 total, but it just wasn't happening for me, and I also ended up bailing on Jonathan, who was going to run with me for another four. I felt bad for doing that, but he seemed pretty nice about it. Turns out his race was just the opposite of mine: this was going to be my tenth PR for the year (how awesome would that have been???); instead it was my very first DNF ever.
At least I did make it out, and I ran off most of the hangover, so I was just left with a mild headache by the time I got to my next party at 1:00 PM. It was my office party, and we had an early afternoon dinner at Angelo and Maxie's, followed by drinks out at a pretty generic pub nearby.
Both soirées on Friday and Saturday were hosted by runner-friends. Friday night I brought a non-running friend to a running party, but I'm not to sure if I'll do that again. That "worlds colliding" phenomenon, I guess. My friend left early, but I stayed on for another couple hours and a few more beers, resulting in the aforementioned hangover. Ugh. Both nights were fun, though, and made me think how much I love the running crowd.
Sunday I kicked back for most of the day, and then grabbed a beer with a friend in the West Village. Cool, easy night.
Today however, I'm down a bit. After a lousy running week last week, I'd hoped to start this one off on the right track, and join the Flyers group run in the park tonight. For some reason, however, I've found myself typically getting really busy at this time of year, and recently has been no exception. I ended up staying late, and missing my run tonight. Try again tomorrow, I guess.
Pile on top of the workload Christmas shopping, and there's just no fun to be had. I actually screwed up one of my nephew's gifts, so now it won't get there until after the 25th. Bad Uncle Skye. Christmas also means broke: the wallet goes on a diet and the credit card bill fattens up terrifically. My bills every year at this time include travel to Winnipeg, but also a wedding when I go. I'm actually skippinng the Christmas visit, as my friend's walk to the alter happens the first weekend in the New Year.
What else has brought about this gloom? Well, in three days the fall is officially over and we enter the dead of winter. Even though the weather has been more than wonderful, I know that it just can't last and the real cold is on its way. I just plain don't like the season. I suppose if there's one bright side, it's that the days will gradually start getting longer. Not sure which I dislike more about the winter - the darkness or the cold. Nah, it's definitely the cold.
Yep, today I'm in the dumps.
If you're a runner, you might think that a DNF is enough to bring anyone down, but that's not the only thing that did it. More to come, as long as I get a chance to post again sometime soon.
Labels: daily grind, races, running, social life


3 Comments:
See what I'm saying about hangovers? They mess everything up. That said, cut yourself some slack. The holidays are the worst time for trying to be disciplined. Precisely why I'm waiting until February to do any more racing! Try to enjoy the rest of December. Eat and drink and bullocks to the training regimen! Have a good holiday and trip back to Winnipeg. See you in January!
Who's in favour of hangovers??? I've never argued with you or anyone else about a hangover messing things up. As I recall I merely said the best thing for them is to go out for a run, which I'm glad I did (otherwise I'd have been in bed until 3:00!).
Thanks for the support, re - having a good time and not being self-disciplined. It's just that I really want to do a spring marathon, and need to get into that mode again and keep up with the training. I find it difficult to get back on the wagon once my routine is broken.
I'll ride the melancholy bus with you, if I may. I'll give you a buzz tonight or tomorrow night as long as work stops abusing me long enough.
<< Home