Fast twitch fibres say: "Huh???"
I ran the Holiday 5 Mile on Saturday. I hadn't raced a 5-miler in quite some time, but also I've been on the rebound from injury, so I was cautiously optimistic.
However, after such a good race, I feel like I can finally report that I am officially recovered from my injury! This assuming that I don't do anything stupid in the immediate future...
Anyway, my race breakdown by mile was: 1-6:47, 2-6:34, 3-6:58, 4-7:13, and 5-6:59, for an average pace of 6:54 and finishing with a 34:35 (squeaking in just under 300th out of 5008 participants). I went out a little fast, and hit Cat Hill during mile four, which accounts for why I both slowed down, and had such a crappy split for that particular mile. I also got a nasty side stitch as I finished the race. Obviously my body has to get used to pushing hard again. Nonetheless, this is a PR for me.
However, when I went through my records yesterday, I came up with a question: Should I lump together 5-milers and 8Ks? A couple months ago, someone told me I should, but really, they're not the same distance... a 5-mile race is 158.4 feet longer than an 8K. So they are in fact, different race lengths. But then I don't really do many of these races. My PR in the 5 mile was 36:10 in June 2004. Cripes, that's two and a half years ago! My 8K PR, on the other hand, was 34:50 from just a year ago. When I look at how long it takes to cover 158.4 feet at a 7 min. pace, it's only 12.6 seconds. So in the end, I decided that unless I start doing a lot of 5M or 8K races, I'll lump them together. Saturday was still a PR either way.
Oh, and I thought I'd throw a photo of me on the blog, partly just for the hell of it, but also because I rock.
However, after such a good race, I feel like I can finally report that I am officially recovered from my injury! This assuming that I don't do anything stupid in the immediate future...
Anyway, my race breakdown by mile was: 1-6:47, 2-6:34, 3-6:58, 4-7:13, and 5-6:59, for an average pace of 6:54 and finishing with a 34:35 (squeaking in just under 300th out of 5008 participants). I went out a little fast, and hit Cat Hill during mile four, which accounts for why I both slowed down, and had such a crappy split for that particular mile. I also got a nasty side stitch as I finished the race. Obviously my body has to get used to pushing hard again. Nonetheless, this is a PR for me.
However, when I went through my records yesterday, I came up with a question: Should I lump together 5-milers and 8Ks? A couple months ago, someone told me I should, but really, they're not the same distance... a 5-mile race is 158.4 feet longer than an 8K. So they are in fact, different race lengths. But then I don't really do many of these races. My PR in the 5 mile was 36:10 in June 2004. Cripes, that's two and a half years ago! My 8K PR, on the other hand, was 34:50 from just a year ago. When I look at how long it takes to cover 158.4 feet at a 7 min. pace, it's only 12.6 seconds. So in the end, I decided that unless I start doing a lot of 5M or 8K races, I'll lump them together. Saturday was still a PR either way.
Oh, and I thought I'd throw a photo of me on the blog, partly just for the hell of it, but also because I rock.


4 Comments:
I didn't realize an 8K is shorter than a 5-miler and lumped them together when reporting my PR. I guess that makes my PR even stronger because I based it on an 8K (which I ran in 2001; the 5-mile distance hasn't popped up much in my recent race history). Cripes, indeed! Nice photo, BTW. You wear the hat well!
aren't you on quite the hot streak ;-)
congrats on the PR. and nice pic as well ;-)
You do rock.
So there.
great race! it must feel good to be back!
<< Home