I sound terrible, and now I've proven it.
So I came across this quiz on Chelly's blog, which asks "What American accent do you have?"
I thought, being Canadian, it would be funny to do this test. What American accent would it tell me I had? Since I'm from Manitoba, which is just north of North Dakota and Minnesota, would it tell me I had a Midwestern accent? Or would it peg me for something completely different? I took the test and answered honestly and instinctively.
Normally I think tests like these are pretty much just all hooey. But it did pin her down as a Southern Girl, and needless to say, I was more than a little dumbfounded to see my results...
And for the record, I know I have the accent, and if you've seen the movie Fargo, you'll probably agree that it's just an atrocious accent!
I thought, being Canadian, it would be funny to do this test. What American accent would it tell me I had? Since I'm from Manitoba, which is just north of North Dakota and Minnesota, would it tell me I had a Midwestern accent? Or would it peg me for something completely different? I took the test and answered honestly and instinctively.
Normally I think tests like these are pretty much just all hooey. But it did pin her down as a Southern Girl, and needless to say, I was more than a little dumbfounded to see my results...
| What American accent do you have? Your Result: North Central "North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot. | |
| The West | |
| Boston | |
| The Midland | |
| The Inland North | |
| The Northeast | |
| Philadelphia | |
| The South | |
| What American accent do you have? Take More Quizzes | |
And for the record, I know I have the accent, and if you've seen the movie Fargo, you'll probably agree that it's just an atrocious accent!
Labels: me, trivial stuff


4 Comments:
I like your accent; it's not in the least bit atrocious. You sound just like my mom and dad.
My accent is Midland, with West as a very close second. No complaints about that; I yam what I yam.
I came up Midland as well but with Philadelphia as a close second, which is kinda weird. I tend to pick up accents if I'm around them for awhile; case in point: I hung out with a lot of Bostonians for awhile back in the late 90s and, as a result, often round my "o's" in words like "God" and "not," but Philadelphia?
I came up with Philadelphia which makes sense:) Midland was second.
Fun Quiz! I got Midland, in case you wondered/were interested :)
<< Home