Sunday, July 30, 2006

Step by step, day by day.

Little by little, I keep rebuilding. Tomorrow I'll be increasing mileage from 4.25 to 4.75 miles per run, three times a week. I know this is more than the 10% rule allows (it's something like 11.5%), but it's just easier to step up by half mile intervals at this point.

I'm hoping that next week, either Monday or Wednesday, when I hit 5.25 miles, to join a group run with the Flyers. We shall see, though. I'm still more than a little humbled by this whole injury thing, and still not sure I'm ready to go running with a group, however supportive they might be. However, I do think that when I hit 5 miles in my regular runs that I actually may feel like I'm a runner again. Just for the record, right now, I don't.

I haven't felt any pain in my hip for the last couple of days, although my ass is really sore from all the massaging, stretching, and exercises in physiotherapy. Today I forgot to ice and stretch, but I'm willing to forgive myself for missing one day.

Anyway, I need to get to sleep. The work week ahead looks like it's going to beat the tar outta me.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger nyflygirl said...

when i see that post title, a song by new kids on the block pops into my head. make it stop :-p

ugh, i hear ya with the whole group run apprehension. it took me quite a while to get up the nerve to go back-moreso because i knew i'd be super slow and that i'd never be able to keep up. i say take advantage of the fact that there's still a lot of daylight now and just run at your own pace...

7/31/06, 2:04 PM  
Blogger Skylight said...

Yep, definitely much slower now - I don't think I'd be keeping up with a lot of people that I used to run with. But moreso for me, I just feel stupid for getting myself injured. Right now I'll keep doing what I'm doing on my own.

New Kids on the Block, eh? Thankfully, I don't know the song. That band was a whole generation after mine, you youngster!

7/31/06, 2:53 PM  
Blogger nyflygirl said...

it's nothing to be embarassed about!! seriously. happens to the best of us.

and yes, be thankful you don't know that song :-p

7/31/06, 4:07 PM  
Blogger A little about me... said...

I'm slower than I'd like to be but if you need someone to do slow runs with (and I could use someone to push me a bit), email me. That's one of the reasons I haven't joined a group yet -- I'm too slow for anyone to run with me. ;)

8/1/06, 6:51 PM  
Blogger Skylight said...

Thanks for the offer, chelly, but I'd like to turn that around by saying that you should join a group (Flyers!) where you'll find a lot of people who run at your pace. Trust me on that.

I think I still need my own personal rebuilding time, and then I can jump in with the group again. Had a good visit with the PT today and she lifted my spirits about my recovery, so I am more optimistic, for now at least.

8/1/06, 9:35 PM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

You're getting there, Skylight. I'm so glad. You're doing a very smart thing by letting the recovery progress without trying to push the running too quickly.

Hope you're having a better week than you anticipated. I'm having a rough one too, and my flipping land line is out again. Sixth time since March.

8/1/06, 9:42 PM  

<< Home