Sunday, July 23, 2006

Moved

Today was a great day for moving: nice weather; not too hot; a little breeze blowing. Unfortunately, I moved yesterday, when the humidity at a million percent made the temperature feel like a trillion bazillion degrees. I may be exaggerating, but only by a zillion or two.

It was a tough move, but one made a jillion times easier (okay, I'll stop now) with the six other pairs of arms donated by friends, who arrived during the course of the loading, which took about two hours, going down three flights of stairs. A mile away, the unloading saw us form a very efficient assembly line up one flight to my new apartment, and we quickly completed the day in another hour. This sure beat the 10+ hours it took me moving the stuff in by myself last year, up those three flights. Ugh!
So I provided my helpers with pizza and beer while waiting for Time Warner to show up and connect my internet. Took off with one couple to Brooklyn, where I returned the favour, and used my rental truck to load the biggest damn piece of furniture I've ever seen: this huge-ass chest-of-drawers thing that cost more than I'm worth. Then we got it back to their place in Queens, and I headed back to Harlem.

This morning I was so exhausted, I awoke to the third alarm I had set, at 7 AM, so that I could return the truck by 8 AM. A word of advice, by the way. A friend and I used a U-Haul a few weeks ago to move him to Brooklyn. The vehicle felt like it was going to fall to pieces! This time I took my chances on Budget on East 117th, and it was worth it: the truck was new, clean, drove very well, and all the accoutrements - A/C, stereo, etc., were in top condition.

I love the new place, and today I walked a bit of the neighbourhood, which I'm really liking, before heading to the old place to clean. It's a lot nicer than I thought it would be. My street has some beautiful old brownstones, and I'm very near the 125th St. commercial area, which has pretty-much everything I need. Even the movie theatre's just a block away. Beats the hell out of the old 'hood.

I spent 6 hrs at the old place, and you'd think that would be more than enough time to clean a 275 square foot apartment, and its bathroom, but I still have to go back and finish the floor. I bought a $4 can of a stain-varnish mix to touch up where I scratched the hardwoods, and it worked really well. The floors were old and not that greatly finished in the first place, and I was concerned that the landlord would ding my security deposit for the scratches.

Suddenly I realise how boring all this must seem if you're not... me. Let me finish by saying that one of the first things I did after getting home last night was measure the new place. It's over 460 square feet, nearly 200 sf larger than the other place. I don't know what I'm going to do with all this space, but it'll be fun finding out.

And of special note, the Miniature (& Prettier) Incredible Hulk Award goes to Sister Smile, who proved that, besides running, she can lift and carry pretty well, too. If she'd just combine the two, she could have a hell of a quick moving business.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

Flattery will get you everywhere, my friend! Seriously, it was no problem at all and I'm glad you're settling in. Love your new place, and I'm sure you'll make good use of the extra 200 sf.

7/24/06, 10:12 PM  
Blogger nyflygirl said...

new places are fun!! though i actually had less space in my current place than in my last, it was still fun fixing it up and getting all sorts of new goodies for the place. have fun exploring and making the most of your new space :)

7/26/06, 3:28 PM  

<< Home