Monday, July 03, 2006

Patriot

Saturday was Canada Day. This year's Canada Day celebration in Central Park was on June 25th. The holiday is actually on July 1st, but due to it's proximity to July 4th, the celebrations are usually the weekend prior.

Canada Day used to be called Dominion Day, but in 1982, the government rewrote Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and to commemorate this event, the holiday was renamed, too. I preferred Dominion Day, as it had such a cool sound to it. Can you imagine renaming Independence Day as America Day or USA Day? Pretty corny.

Anyway, I didn't attend the celebrations at Summerstage this year, but a couple of friends did. The event features all Canadian bands. Previous years have featured such high-profile acts as Rufus Wainwright, the Cowboy Junkies, and Sarah Harmer, but there weren't any bands on the roster this year whose names I recognised, so I didn't go, and my friends said I didn't miss much.

This was my poorest celebration of my country in recent years. Saturday's events were made up of moving another Canadian friend from Harlem to Brooklyn. At the end of it all, we had our pizza and beer, and raised a glass to Canada.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

I have a small Canadian flag on my desk at work and will wave it briefly in your honor tomorrow.

I prefer Dominion Day, too. I also think Rememberance Day sounds better than Veterans' Day, and poppies are a nicer way to remember fallen soldiers than store-wide sales.

7/4/06, 4:48 PM  

<< Home