Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Congratulations, me!

Given my recent pathetic physical condition, and the fact that I can't run for the time being, I decided to pick up my spirits and, well, head over to Jersey, of course!

My other club, Essex, had their monthly meeting last night in Montclair. I missed the meeting in April, which is the anual awards dinner, and of course, given that it was the first awards dinner that I missed in four years, I got my first Essex award: Most Improved Runner 2005.

Getting the award placated my need to run for the moment. It almost felt like I received it for just finishing a great race. And it was good to see old friends in NJ again, and hear the many congrats on the award and the great race times I had (You know, back in the day, when I used to run). They also had a good guest speaker: a young elite runner named Aiden Walsh, who shared some interesting running advice and tips. It was interesting to hear that he and Paul Tergat have been to MacDonald's together... something you'd never thing an elite would do.

As a bonus, there were quite a few injuries at our table, where we swapped war stories over beer and pizza. We covered plantar faciatis, trachonteric bursitis, and a broken leg. Normally the PF would be the cool injury in the group, but the guy with the broken leg trumped the rest of us, because he actually broke it on a long run. That's a pretty cool injury, and he should've really gotten some kind of award for it.

He just can't have mine.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're two timing us?!?!

Congrats, though! You've totally earned it.

6/7/06, 12:08 AM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Agreed - hope this is some consolation for having to take some time off. You deserve it!

6/7/06, 8:46 AM  
Blogger nyflygirl said...

CONGRATS!! well earned, and in the future i'm sure there will be more where that came from.

(though i still disagree that PF is a cool runner injury. running injuries are the one category where you *don't* want to be part of the "in crowd"!)

6/7/06, 9:57 AM  
Blogger Skylight said...

jbl, I'm really two-timing them.

Actually though, it was Essex that referred me to the Flyers, as a few of their members are former (or two-timing) Flyers.

nyflygirl, I knew you couldn't resist that "cool injury" comment.

Thanks sister smile, and all of you, for the support!

6/7/06, 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the coolness of an injury depends on how the injury was incurred. For example, injury due to mega-mileage is cooler than injury due to coworker incompetence. It comes down to how mega- or ultra- you can make your war story. Sort of the runner version of "When I was growing up, I had to walk uphill! both ways! in the snow! barefoot!"

6/7/06, 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice stalker precaution there, the way the reflection from the flash obscures your name . . .

6/11/06, 8:01 PM  

<< Home