I don't want to run anymore!
I finished off this training week with my mileage peaking at 70.2. This is the most weekly mileage since last September, when I hit 71.3 one week in training for NYC.
My hip lasted me all 23.5 miles of my long run on Friday with minimal discomfort, although it was a little stiff afterward. I had an awful day running, though. I was planning on 24, but was just so exhausted by the end of it, I was running 8:45s by the time I threw in the towel. All I could think by the end of it was, "I don't want to run anymore." It was a good reminder that we can all have bad days, whether it's a training run or a race day, and that I can't automatically expect success in my next marathon. I also felt like I was running slower right from the beginning, like the problem with my hip was keeping me from really pushing myself. But my first two loops were at 8:10 and 8:12, respectively, which is right on target for my long run pace.
Tonight I did 12.7 miles, and again, I struggled to get myself out the door, and also rationalised cutting the mileage short before finally committing myself to the scheduled distance. This has been a repeated theme throughout my last week of training. Much of this has been due to the problem with my hip, but a big part is that I'm just ready for a break. I'm so glad that my taper starts tomorrow. I really need a rest, and it'll be nice to cut back the distances and not feel guilty about it.
I do intend to race the Mother's Day 5K in Central Park next weekend. The course looks pretty fast. Maybe I can do a sub-20:00. That would be a real treat.
My hip lasted me all 23.5 miles of my long run on Friday with minimal discomfort, although it was a little stiff afterward. I had an awful day running, though. I was planning on 24, but was just so exhausted by the end of it, I was running 8:45s by the time I threw in the towel. All I could think by the end of it was, "I don't want to run anymore." It was a good reminder that we can all have bad days, whether it's a training run or a race day, and that I can't automatically expect success in my next marathon. I also felt like I was running slower right from the beginning, like the problem with my hip was keeping me from really pushing myself. But my first two loops were at 8:10 and 8:12, respectively, which is right on target for my long run pace.
Tonight I did 12.7 miles, and again, I struggled to get myself out the door, and also rationalised cutting the mileage short before finally committing myself to the scheduled distance. This has been a repeated theme throughout my last week of training. Much of this has been due to the problem with my hip, but a big part is that I'm just ready for a break. I'm so glad that my taper starts tomorrow. I really need a rest, and it'll be nice to cut back the distances and not feel guilty about it.
I do intend to race the Mother's Day 5K in Central Park next weekend. The course looks pretty fast. Maybe I can do a sub-20:00. That would be a real treat.


1 Comments:
it's a good negative splitter course...just don't leave it all out in the first mile up cat hill...it will come back to haunt you :)
i was originally gonna do the 5k but decided against it...wasn't feeling up for it plus an extra week of non-racing won't hurt with the points race the next week. i think i might dust off the camera for this one though.
but as for you, don't do anything crazy during your taper-vermont needs you!! :)
<< Home