Sunday, June 25, 2006

Grumpy

First of all, it feels like Saturday today, and I have to constantly remind myself that it's Sunday and I have to work tomorrow.

Second, I thought that the Flyers's TGIFs were supposed to take place every other week... Apparently, though, the two weeks that we're currently in have 21 days in them. So the next TGIFF is on July 7th, and thus, what I thought would be a Boat Basin night, the 14th won't be. My plan was to fold my birthday celebration that night in with the Flyers's Happy Hour, but it seems meant not to be. Guess it'll just be me and Three-Buck-Chuck celebrating alone. Ugh!

Mostly, though, I'm up to four weeks on the non-running training schedule, and it looks like it'll be a lot longer before I am able to run again. Being on my feet all the time on West Street construction has slowed my healing progress I think. I won't be doing Chicago this year - that seems obvious, as it's less than seventeen weeks away now. And the Bronx Half is just two weeks away, so that's out, too. So much for doing the Grand Prix. If I'm up for it, maybe I can train enough to run part of NYC in November, but we'll see. I'd rather just stop running altogether for awhile so that I'm fully recuperated.

I don't believe the physiotherapy is helping much, if at all, but I still go. I have a follow-up with the orthopedist in mid-July after my 6 weeks of physio is over, and if she thinks I should continue with the PT, I'm prepared to veto that proposal.

So I've been thinking about swimming lately. It's pretty much the only exercise that one can do with hip bursitis, and I've always wanted to learn. But where? I've looked online - the YMCA has children's lessons, but I haven't found any references to learning to swim for adults, save private instruction, but I'm thinking that might be too expensive. Everything's too expensive these days, especially now that I'm expecting to move again. Someone remind me -- why did I move to Manhattan?

And yesterday while moving around some furniture in my apartment I put two gouges in my (crappily-finished) hardwood floors. So much for my damage deposit. Grrrrr!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

Dear Grumpy,

Sounds like we need to have another little conversation about your birthday.

Regarding swimming: one thing you might do is contact one of our talented swimmers in the club (there are many) and see if he or she wants to make a few bucks on the side teaching you - or better yet, find someone who would be willing to work on the barter system.

For the floor gouges: a little shoe polish (or even a little dirt rubbed in) might help make them less obvious. I put skid pad tape on the bottoms of all my furniture and have some left over if you want it for the new place.

6/25/06, 3:31 PM  

<< Home