Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Everyone Counts

After yesterday's post I went out with friends until 3 AM. Now, while that might sound like a good time - and it was - it probably wasn't the good time that you think it was. I participated, with a few Flyers, in the HOPE 2007 New York Street Survey.

That's the Homeless Outreach Population Estimate, where all homeless people are counted throughout NYC. One night of of the year, groups head out with clipboard surveys in hand to stop everyone they meet in the middle of the night, to estimate the numbers of those without shelter. We gathered at a public school at 10:30 or so in East Harlem for our review of the surveys and some simple training, and my group of four headed out to a neighbourhood not far from mine to conduct the count, shortly after midnight.

There aren't very many people out between 12 and 3 AM on a Tuesday, which is a big part of the reason HOPE is conducted on that weeknight. And it being winter, maybe it is felt that more homeless people would take refuge at a shelter somewhere, where I'd assume they could also be counted, reducing the numbers on the street. Or maybe it's done in winter to weigh the seriousness of the problem: how many homeless are out in the cold. And it was a cold night - well below freezing.

Even though we wore big stickers identifying us as conducting an official NYC Survey, we still ran into a small handful of people who were rude and wanted nothing to do with us. For the most part, though, people were pleasant, answered a few questions politely, and allowed us to move on.

I'm happy to report that we found no one on the street whom reported not having a place to stay. Most people cited an apartment as their home, and only man said he stayed in a shelter, that was all. We finished by visiting the 116th St. subway where we also found no one. We headed back to the school, submitted the results, had a donut (or two) and shared a few laughs before packing it in and heading home. As we left, we were given t-shirts... I refused mine at first - being a runner, I have more than enough free t-shirts - but then I changed my mind. It was a nice shirt that had the study's logo on the front and their tagline on the back: "Everyone Counts."

Even though we didn't find anyone homeless in our study area, we know they're out there. Last year's survey found over 3,800 homeless in the city, and you really do have to wonder how many more were tucked away in ATM vestibules or under private stairwells, undiscovered.

In light of my post yesterday, full of the trivial stresses of work and play, this type of activity can really put things into perspective. Not only do I have a roof over my head and wealth beyond what some people can imagine, but I also have friends with good hearts who are giving and caring people willing to help out when the time comes. These are the things worth living for.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

<< Home