Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Luckily, things can't get any worse. Oh, no. . .

One thing that’s really gotten to me about this whole injury thing is that while all my research has told me that hip bursitis is a common running injury, I still haven’t met any runners that have had it. This has been frustrating, because I really wanted to find someone who could relate their experience to me, and ask some questions: How long before the pain subsided? How long before you could run long or do speedwork again? Did it flare up again or become chronic?

I know way too many runners that have had Plantar Fasciatis, stress fractures, and a multitude of other injuries. There’s no shortage of them to ask details of their experiences. But my lack of finding anyone with bursitis (and specifically Trochanteric Bursitis) has lead me to one of two conclusions:

a) Everything I’ve read has been wrong, and bursitis simply is not a common running injury, or
b) Bursitis is an injury such that people who get it are no longer able to continue running, which would explain why I haven't met any runners who have had bursitis.

But today, I finally found a runner who did have bursitis. It was in his foot, but bursitis nonetheless. He’s a guy in my office, who was training for his first marathon and got injured as he hit about 14-15 miles in his long runs. I was excited that maybe I could finally get some answers from someone with real-life experience from the injury. After politely chatting about his history with running and how he got the injury and orthotics and running styles, I finally cut to the chase and asked him how long before he started running again. He told me that it was last year in July when he was training for the 2005 marathon that he got injured, and he was just getting back into running now, “with a little trepidation,” he added, as he also explained that he was still concerned about aggravating the injury.

“Excuse me?” I couldn't have heard that right.

“Yeah, so about 12 or 14 months.”

I nearly fell over. That’s not the right answer!!! Not the right answer at all! You're supposed to say "Oh, I took a couple of months off running, and then I gradually eased back into it. I'm running the '06 marathon this year."

Why couldn’t I have just jumped from the roof of my walk-up or got hit by a car, so that I could have just broken both legs or something simple like that?!

A year. A whole freaking year?

Oh crap. Crappity crap crap CRAP!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger brunettechicagogal said...

That's the injury I have, along with piriformis syndrome, and I've been able to run, albeit only 4 miles max. I'm expecting to be out of long-run commission, just based on how I feel, for at least the rest of the year. And I was out for about 9 months with plantar fasciitis a few years ago. Think about how much pounding your body undergoes with distance running; a long recovery isn't that surprising when you consider all of that stress.

8/15/06, 6:02 PM  
Blogger Skylight said...

Yes, mine's a double-whammy, too: bursitis with ITBS. Apparently the ITBS exacerbates the bursitis. Yay.

I had been pretty responsible with taking care of myself through the distance running until recently. I peaked about a month early in my marathon training, though, and got cocky, thinking my body could handle the 60-70+ mile weeks for such a long period of time. Live and learn, and now I'm paying the consequences.

8/16/06, 10:47 PM  

<< Home