Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Neighbours

So I share the floor of my new apartment building with 3 other units. First, there's Crackwhore-across-the-hall, whom I referred to in an earlier post. Next, there's Loud-Momma-nextdoor. The only interaction I've had with her is when I was moving in, she came over and introduced herself to me: "Hi, my name is ****. I have a three-year-old and I'm very loud." My buddy Ted, who moved out of the apartment, said that she's quite a hypocrite. Apparently, she does play her music loud, and uses the kid as an excuse to get others to turn their music down when she wants it quiet. I haven't seen her since we met.

A few days ago, however, I had the pleasure of meeting Crazy-lady-down-the-hall. She knocked on the door and asked me what I was doing there. When I told her I was the new tenant, she proceeded to tell me that I was not the new tenant. She said she knew that I was a friend of Ted's (she saw me helping Ted move out), and that I couldn't be the new tenant. I explained that Ted moved out, and I put an application in for the apartment and was accepted. She responded by first repeating what I said in the form of a question("You just put an application in for the apartment and was accepted?" She kept doing this throughout our conversation: "You're the new tenant?" "You signed a new lease?" I thought she was practicing for Jeopardy). When I finally made the facts clear to her that I was living there, she told me that she was a member of the building association, and that was not how the rental process was supposed to work. I told her she'd have to talk to the management company about it, to which she responded, "You better believe I'm gonna talk to the management company about it!" When I finally got out of the conversation and shut the door, she was raving in the hall to Crackwhore about how "They just want our black asses outta here," and "What they doin' lettin' a white boy like that in here?!" I called Ted afterwards, and he said as far as he knows there's no building association, and she's just crazy. He did affirm that she'd be Medley's biggest enemy, and would be first to complain about a cat living in the building. Damn.

So it seems I have a very colourful floor as far as neighbours go. And I do mean colourful in the most non-race-related way.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

Didn't "Ted" say that she was the one who woke him up in the middle of the night demanding if he had called the cops on her?

I don't know of any crazies in my current building, thankfully, but I used to live in a building with two people who had severe hoarding problems on the same floor. One lived next door and had many, many cats, and the smell was just overpowering. Hope this one doesn't cause any problems for you.

8/3/06, 2:48 PM  
Blogger Skylight said...

Loud-Momma-nextdoor was the one that woke Ted up in the middle of the night.

There have always been one or two people in the buildings that I've lived in that seemed to be a card or two short of a full deck, but not to the extent it is in this place, where it seems to have spread like a disease.

8/3/06, 3:16 PM  
Blogger rawker said...

Yes, your floor can be quite the chessboard. Best strategy: Keep all the pawns all complaining about each other so much that they just forget about you. It's their favorite hobby anyway.

-Ted

8/3/06, 11:18 PM  
Blogger brunettechicagogal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/15/06, 2:17 PM  

<< Home