Saturday, February 17, 2007

Saturday Long Run

Today I had to sit down and put on my mathematician's cap to figure out how many miles I did this morning, having broken it apart into many different segments with a lot of different people.

I'll start, though, by saying that I almost didn't make it out the door. In fact, at 8:00 AM, I geared up, locked my apartment, and stood in the doorway of my building, staring at the cold outside, contemplating turning around. Unlike the previous two days, though, I stepped outside and began, albeit sluggishly, to run. The mileage broke down as such: .65 miles to the park, 3.4 down the west side and back up the east drive and 72nd, plus one 1.7 mile loop at the bottom to back to the same point, where I met the Flyers for the 9:00 AM group run. after lingering for a few minutes, we started south and did 5 miles of the 6 mile loop. I ran with our Flyer cartoonist, and enjoyed some good conversation about Flyer dynamics and relationships before I broke off at Engineer's Gate, where I met up with Miss Antarctica. Since we had a few minutes to spare, we ran about 3 minutes out and 3 minutes back around the icy, snowy reservoir. Back to Engineer's Gate, where we met up with a group of Flyer's for the 10:00 AM Round Two: another full 6 mile loop, clockwise. staying with the group for much the run, I attempted to sell everyone one writing articles for the newsletter. Oh, and by the way, if you have enough time to blog, you have enough time to write an article. Hehe.

Again, at Engineer's Gate, or as Antarctica apparently wants to call it "Gold Head" (at first I thought she said Goat Head, which didn't make much sense to me, but whatever), we went our separate ways. I turned around and headed the 2 miles back to the apartment in Harlem.

Figuring out my mileage felt like I was doing my taxes again (by the way - Yay for refunds!). I finally settled on 18.75, but had forgotten the little stint on the reservoir, so I'm calling it a cool 19. I had only planned on 18. The pathetic part is that this is almost half my mileage for the week. I am really looking forward to a warming trend next week (Yay, 40 degrees!) so that I'm more enthusiastic about getting out the door.

Anyway, I napped for 2 hours at home, and just happily lollygagged the rest of the afternoon away. Now I'm off to a friend's birthday in West Orange. Should be a fun, fun night.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You geared up and made it to the lobby before having second thoughts... WOW. I generally get seconds thoughts before I get out of bed. Nice run!

2/24/07, 3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Landmarks
I wrote you a month or so ago. I had hip bursitis triggered by ITB tendonitis. 8 months and lots of PT- and Im back running- albeit SHORT distances- my confidence has taken a beating. Curious from your experience if you have any residual discomfort in the hip, hip flexor- or if you are running problem free? Do you stretch and still do PT? Im running fine, no pain- just the next day a little sore- always second guessing myself. Wondering if you have moved past all the worry of a flare up?
Looks like you are cranking out some serious miles- that is wonderful. Some of your stories about your apartment were too funny!
take care
Irisheyesaresmiling

2/25/07, 1:38 PM  
Blogger Skylight said...

Hi Irisheyes,
Yes, I remember your post from a while back.
For quite some time I had a little minor discomfort - just a bit of stiffness in the hip, which I'd say lasted a couple months, once I was back into a regular running routine of about 20 miles per week. Never a flare-up, though. I haven't done PT since the end of Sept., but I go to a pilates class once a week that helps to supplement my usual stretching routine, which I admit, I can be kind of a slacker about.
Now my running is up to 45+ miles per week and I'm targeting the NJ marathon at the end of April, but to be safe, without a time goal. The experience with injury has left me extra-cautious about over-training.
My advice is to ease into training very gradually. My first week back into running was just 10 miles and I stuck to the 10% rule on increasing distance... It can be frustrating at times when you really feel good some weeks and are really tempted to get in some extra miles. But be patient and you'll be back to 20, and then 40, in no time.

You might want to also check in on the blog "Bitin' the Big Apple" for her experience with a similar hip injury - she's also back running strong now.

Thanks for reading my blog, and take care!

2/27/07, 9:11 AM  

<< Home