Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Time and the training schedule

I was lucky to get in a good run before the rain started tonight. Tomorrow, during "wintery mix" weather, whatever that is, I need to get in a quick 4 miles. Sunday is long run day, if I've recovered from St. Patty's, the night before.

This week is the first week that I haven't felt like I've had to really squeeze in the mileage, and felt like I've been running like I'm supposed to, and I've felt like I've been running strong, too. I've had to alter my training routine to get the distances in, mainly because of how busy everything else is. Work is actually pretty good, now that the dark cloud has left our office. I've gotten a step up in responsibilities, which I like, but I've needed to put some extra time in to ride the learning curve a bit and stay ahead of the game. Budgets are tight.

In turn, this has meant that my running has taken the place of my commuting, for the most part. Instead of taking the subway home, changing, and heading off to the park to run with the Flyers group, I now start my training runs from the bottom of the park, do a loop and a half, and head home near the top. Unfortunately, this means that I don't get to enjoy the group chatter, but it gets me home earlier so that I can do some other work.

And that work is mostly Flyers work. Doing the newsletter and being on the executive board for the largest local running club in NYC really sucks up the time. Most of that is spent e-mailing people about articles (usually earlier in the month) editing and laying out the monthly issue (later in the month), or e-mailing people regarding board activities (all the time). It's a strange group we've assembled as a running club, let me tell you. In a good way, though. I actually enjoy the work, but there is a lot of it.

So, as much of my time is spent writing e-mails or reading/editing other people's writing, it figures that I don't spend too much time blogging anymore.

Oh yeah, and I'm training for a marathon. That kind of sucks away the time, too. I actually officially signed up for the New Jersey Marathon this past Monday. Got the whole thing out of the way: registered for the race, booked the hotel, and found a ride down to Long Branch, all within about an hour or two. Sure beats having the distraction of those things eating away at the back of my mind. Once I had that all settled up, it definitely improved my focus on my running, knowing I'm actually doing this thing. Unfortunately, I now only have just over three weeks until I taper. Not a lot of time to get in top condition. As long as during those few weeks I can stay uninjured, it should still be a fun time in Jersey.

Labels: , ,