Rain
Despite the good time I had at the 5K on Saturday, the harsh reality of Sunday's storm loomed: I needed to get a long run in. Luckily it's my taper, so I was thinking 12 to 15 max. But nor'easter or not, I needed to run. And so I did.
I woke up at 4:45 AM, when the hourly forecast still said Rain as opposed to Heavy Rain/Wind. I was out the door running by 4:59, in forty-one degrees, which according to the forecast felt like 37. In shorts. Then it was 1.2 miles to the part. two loops, and back, for a total of 14.4 miles in, in 1 hr 57 minutes, in the terribly cold rain. I saw four other runners (all dress much more warmly than I), a guy playing fetch with his dog (Buddy, It's 5:45 AM and pouring rain... the dog can probably wait), and a bunch of people packing up the stuff for a canceled bike race before I was done. Back inside, it took me about twenty minutes to stop shivering, and about 45 minutes before I actually felt warm again. Apparently that qualifies as mild hypothermia. Once my core temperature returned, I went back to bed for three more hours.
Why do we do this to ourselves? Oh yeah - because we love it.
I woke up at 4:45 AM, when the hourly forecast still said Rain as opposed to Heavy Rain/Wind. I was out the door running by 4:59, in forty-one degrees, which according to the forecast felt like 37. In shorts. Then it was 1.2 miles to the part. two loops, and back, for a total of 14.4 miles in, in 1 hr 57 minutes, in the terribly cold rain. I saw four other runners (all dress much more warmly than I), a guy playing fetch with his dog (Buddy, It's 5:45 AM and pouring rain... the dog can probably wait), and a bunch of people packing up the stuff for a canceled bike race before I was done. Back inside, it took me about twenty minutes to stop shivering, and about 45 minutes before I actually felt warm again. Apparently that qualifies as mild hypothermia. Once my core temperature returned, I went back to bed for three more hours.
Why do we do this to ourselves? Oh yeah - because we love it.
Labels: running


1 Comments:
You are one crazy dog! (of course, I mean that in a good way:))
but, wow. I'm impressed by the early hour of your run. And the tales of who decides to play in the park at that hour/those weather conditions make it really worth it, right?
<< Home