Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A year. A whole freakin' year.

From a Coolrunning.com forum post, Aug. 8th/'06:

"I had stress fractures and hip bursitis and didn't listen to the doctor initially either because I really love to run. The best advice I can give is to rest as completely as possible and to listen to your doctors. I luckily didn't have to have surgery but they told me I wouldn't be able to run anymore if I didn't rest so eventually I listened. It was a very, very long recovery process, probably because I didn't rest like I was supposed to in the beginning. I was on crutches and then was only allowed to walk short distances. Physical therapy did wonders and I still do the exercises I learned today. It took about 6 months until I no longer felt pain and a full year until I could run 20 miles a week with no pain or without starting to get reinjured. When I couldn't run, I walked and swam. I just kept taking it easy if something hurt and eventually I recovered completely. I don't do much sprint work anymore but I'm just happy to be running again. I just ran my first marathon since I was injured about 2 years after the initial injury and am running regularly since. I really understand wanting to do the marathon and you need to do what is best for you, but your hip flexors will probably appreciate it if you rested and ran a different marathon after you were completely healed."

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger ss said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/15/06, 2:59 PM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

((((skylight))))

8/15/06, 3:27 PM  
Blogger brunettechicagogal said...

Oh, that is good news! I've been thinking my long-distance days are over, so it's heartening to read that someone with the same injury actually has done a marathon since they were first sidetracked.

8/15/06, 6:00 PM  
Blogger Skylight said...

Sister, thanks for the supportive cyber-hug!

chicago, I'm glad you're happy, although I can't recall what your injury is. I don't doubt that I'll be able to run long again *someday*, but my Boston qualifying goal for '07 sure is trashed, and frankly, I'd be much happier if I could make it past 3.5 for now without collapsing.

8/16/06, 10:39 PM  
Blogger Skylight said...

Oh, chicago, I just saw youy earlier post where you mention your injury and I've responded there.

8/16/06, 10:41 PM  

<< Home