Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Zombie in Me

This really really sucks. Today I reached the point where I no longer feel like I've been making any of the choices of when to work, and when not to work. Welcome to the 70-hour workweek, folks. Basically I've been sleeping for 7 hrs, waking up, commuting to work, working 14-15 hrs straight, and commuting home to go to sleep again. It actually got worse on Wednesday when the deadline for the project-at-hand was pushed from Thursday until the next week. While this meant that I had more time (and needed it) I really didn't want to drag this thin out into the next week. But here I am again. I left work early that that night, got home at about 7:30, and discovered that it takes me almost exactly eight hours, starting completely from scratch, to hammer out the Flyers' newsletter, having all my submissions in. I finished at 3 A.M. and, as horrid as that sounds, it was actually a welcome break from office work. And at least it wasn't New Years Eve.

I actually reached the point on Friday morning where I considered how much time I could save if I didn't have to brush my teeth. I shit you not. By that afternoon, I was fully 'zombified': that state where decision-making ability is severely diminished and you realize you really just need a break.

So I went to the Flyers' Happy Hour on Friday night. Twisting my arm to leave the office was the fact that it was at arguably my favourite Manhattan venue, the 79th Street Boat Basin. I came straight from work and it was a relief to see all the fresh, friendly Flyer faces. I stayed for a full three hours and three very good beers, and headed home.

Yesterday, I slept in, but it was a restless, stressed-out sleep. I went to the office and discovered just how much work I had left on this thing. I worked for a few hours, and then switched focus for a few hours and concentrated on updating my resume. Today, it's back to office work, and this blog entry is my morning break.

I canceled my PT appointment midweek because I didn't have time, and really hadn't been doing any of my exercises anyway. I have another appointment tomorrow, and it seems pointless to go, for the same reasons. I also am out of food at home, but given that my breakfast is a bagel, and lunch and dinner have been accommodated by the local delis, I don't feel like that's urgent until the cat runs out of food or litter.

I do, however, need to do laundry. Badly. I may just get the drop off service, though, which is something I've never done before.

I had promised myself that I would start running again on June 1st, but it didn't happen, so I figured that my first run would be Sunday's Japan Day Run in Central Park. I came to the office instead. I also canceled a first date today. We were supposed to meet at a museum this afternoon. It's probably not a good time for me to start a relationship anyway.

And did I mention that on weekends, while it's been beautiful 90-degree weather outside, my office isn't air-conditioned? So despite not running, I've still been wearing shorts and a singlet on Saturday and Sunday at my computer, with two fans pointed at my desk. Sweaty.

And now I've got a cold, too, so I've been popping Dayquil with my coffee to get me through the day.

Speaking of which, it's good to vent, but I need to get back to work.

I think I may need a new job, too.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

This is fantastic!! (Um, I mean your description, not your job.)

I've also (a) debated the time savings effects of skipping brushing (if no one gets too close, does it matter? what if I use mouthwash while tying my shoes?), (b) realized having groceries at home doesn't matter if you're never there (in fact, it wastes time because you have throw out the bad stuff), (c) made friends at all the local delis, (d) used sudafed and coffee as a pick me up, and (e) use the laundry drop off service.

I'd add that if you keep a suit jacket on all day, you can save time by not ironing your shirt-sleeves.

However, I don't really recommend (e) for you though, Skylight. It's one of those services where once you start using it, it's really hard to imagine everd oing your own laundry again.

Good luck!

6/5/07, 11:15 AM  
Blogger runner26 said...

oh man..so sorry! Life is shit sometimes. It takes all your energy just to get by. I hope things look up for you soon. Just know that you are not alone.

6/5/07, 9:13 PM  
Blogger nyflygirl said...

Dude, this is sounding exactly like what I was going through this past winter...there is going to be a point where you are gonna have to stick up for yourself...what you are describing is just insane. Hope things turn around soon...

6/6/07, 2:27 PM  
Blogger Skylight said...

nyflygirl, I think it's very different than what you had going on. It really has nothing to do with sticking up for myself. It's purely the nature of the work right now, and being unfortunately hit with many ambitious deadlines at once, much like Jon goes through. Talk to me again in a few days.

sempre libre, I'm happy to report that, despite the ongoing rigourous schedule, the cold is on the way out already...

runner26, thanks for the words of support!

And Jon, good to know someone else has been there, too. But tell me, what is this strange ritual that you speak of... this thing you call "ironing"???

6/6/07, 3:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh man.... I hope things loosen up for you soon!

6/13/07, 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home