Mickey 4.0
So I'm sitting here watching a movie, and Medley goes crazy, and starts head-butting (or so it seems) the baseboard heater again.
Yep, same old story: she comes out with a mouse.
This makes for mouse #4, coming to the close of my first year in this apartment. I'm not too content with that statistic: I'm not particularly happy with averaging one mouse every three months. I suppose at least if the cat was killing them, I could live with that.
But she's not. Truth be told, I really want to nickname her Deadly Medley, but she's just not living up to that label.
As was the case last time, she decided that the mouse was going to be her new toy. She dropped it in the middle of the floor and started batting it around. At least this time I was coherent enough that I ran to the kitchen to find something to trap the thing under. First I grabbed the lid to a sauce pan, and then paused, looked at it, and thought "Ewww! Gross!" I put it down, grabbed a coffee can instead, and popped back into the other room.
Medley was still playing. I tried to get her to drop the mouse in a place where I could scoop it up. Instead she dropped it next to my dresser, and it scurried underneath, where it got cornered between a storage bin and the wall, and it just sat there. I retrieved a pair of pliers from a drawer. Holding Medley back with one hand, I used the pliers to pick the mouse up by the tail, dropped him into the can and closed the lid. I cut a couple little air holes in it with a utility knife.
But now what? Am I supposed ot kill it? Do I release it, set it free to continue to infest the city? It is a pest, right? Not like I can keep it as a pet. But how do I dispose of it? And how do I get to my coffee with the mouse in there? (Okay, I'm kidding about that last thing.)
But really, what do I do?
Yep, same old story: she comes out with a mouse.
This makes for mouse #4, coming to the close of my first year in this apartment. I'm not too content with that statistic: I'm not particularly happy with averaging one mouse every three months. I suppose at least if the cat was killing them, I could live with that.
But she's not. Truth be told, I really want to nickname her Deadly Medley, but she's just not living up to that label.
As was the case last time, she decided that the mouse was going to be her new toy. She dropped it in the middle of the floor and started batting it around. At least this time I was coherent enough that I ran to the kitchen to find something to trap the thing under. First I grabbed the lid to a sauce pan, and then paused, looked at it, and thought "Ewww! Gross!" I put it down, grabbed a coffee can instead, and popped back into the other room.
Medley was still playing. I tried to get her to drop the mouse in a place where I could scoop it up. Instead she dropped it next to my dresser, and it scurried underneath, where it got cornered between a storage bin and the wall, and it just sat there. I retrieved a pair of pliers from a drawer. Holding Medley back with one hand, I used the pliers to pick the mouse up by the tail, dropped him into the can and closed the lid. I cut a couple little air holes in it with a utility knife.
But now what? Am I supposed ot kill it? Do I release it, set it free to continue to infest the city? It is a pest, right? Not like I can keep it as a pet. But how do I dispose of it? And how do I get to my coffee with the mouse in there? (Okay, I'm kidding about that last thing.)
But really, what do I do?
Labels: daily grind, Medley


6 Comments:
Now that is a dilemma. It sort of feels like one of those psychology profile tests.
when I see this post title, for whatever reason I think of these lyrics:
"Oh Mickey you're so fine!
You're so fine you blow my mind
Hey Mickey!
Hey Mickey!"
(sorry not much help to your situation there.)
Oh, happy belated Canada Day!! (my parentals are actually vacating now in your country...)
Exterminate! Exterminate! EXTERMINATE!!!
Kill the sucker. Drowning is cleanest. Toilet or bathtub will do. Sucky way to die, but that's what you get when you mess with homo sapien.
Put it in a bottle and set it a sail...to go far far away on the Hudson...
Very hard dilemma there, for a second I thought that you were talking about a computer mouse...How did you ever pick up a mouse's tail by pliers?
I would've just thrown the mouse outside.
I wish you didn't have to deal with rodents but at least Medley gets to feel useful and get exercise.
Why are kill or release the only options?
Keep it. Get a little mousey cage with one of those rolly wheels. Set it next to the baseboard heater so all the other meeces can be detered from entering and being stuck in such a torture device.
<< Home