HK 10k Recap, and upcoming races

I ran the healthy Kidney 10k yesterday. I can't even remember the last time I ran a 10k. My PR is a 42:42 from the Scotland Run two years ago, and I thought there was a solid chance that I would improve greatly on that time this year given my recent track record.
I hopped the subway Saturday morning and got to the start with plenty of time to spare. I jogged two warmup miles and then found my coral. Saw our club president and said hello. At the horn we took off, and of course I took off way too fast. My first mile was something like a 6:20. I had not choice but to ease up for the next two on the west side hills. I managed the great hill, but by the time I hit three miles, I was starting to fade. Heading up the northeast hill at the 5k mark, I actually wondered if I was going to have to stop running (jb24 told me later that he felt the same way). Shortly after that I got a side stitch, saw myself start to slow down some more, and it was a real fight until the mile 5 marker. I didn't exactly get a second wind, but I felt stronger and held a steady pace for the final 1.2. I did manage a PR, but only by one second per mile, finishing with a 42:36. I grabbed some water and went for a cool-down run, which turned into another ten miles. I finished the day with 18.1 miles -- god only knows why.
I ran part of my cool-down with JR, our top finisher. He ran a blistering 36:10 (sub-6 minute pace)! I found it interesting to hear his frustration with the hills and the sun and struggling to settle into a pace along the rolling 10k course of Central Park. I guess even the fast guys have a hard time...
I'm glad I got a PR, but I really thought I could finish in about 42:00 even. Running 11+ miles Thursday night, and then staying out late with JD for beers Friday night probably didn't aid me in reaching my goal. I'll need to look for another 10k this year.
I'm shooting for 10 PRs this year. That was my fifth.
On to other races, the other night night I signed up on for the NYRR's 50th anniversary run, on June 4th. I had heard that NYRR was planning something "different" for their 50th anniversary, and I think this is brilliant: a 5 mile race on a Wednesday morning at 5:30 a.m., for free. And it's a marathon qualifier. I'm actually excited about it! I really wonder how many people will come out for it at 5:30 a.m., though. That should be interesting. I know it's going to piss off a lot of cyclists in the park that morning!
The other race I have coming up is the Wall Street Run. In previous years this was a 5k, but the course always ended up short, so it's now a 3 mile race. Very weird distance, and I won't be counting it in my PRs, even if I get a fantastic time. My intent is to just substitute this race for speedwork on Tuesday and then run home from there, which should amount to about 10 miles total. It's a marathon qualifier, too.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home