Older.

I like receiving birthday cards. Yesterday I got five cards from friends and family.
I've actually kept every single card (and letter) I've received for birthdays, holidays, and special events, since my late teens or early twenties. It's amounted to a couple of shoe boxes worth of paper, and that's still less volume than the number of comic books I have stored away at my parents' house from when I was a teenage collector. But unlike comics, which really only have value in my thinking that one day they'll be worth money, a card has a personality attached to it. Getting one is a nice little token of someone thinking about you, and even if they aren't particularly such a close friend, the card and the respective giver is usually attached to some part of your life that was important in one way or another. A few years ago I flipped through some of the cards in the boxes and came across a Christmas card with a name on it that I didn't immediately recognize. It came to me hours later: she was one of five Americans and Canadians that I lived with in London in December of 1991. She was from Montana, I remember, and was a very positive, cheery girl. I only lived with those folks for about a month, in a basement flat in West Kensington, but it was amazing the rich memories that were triggered by just looking at a name on a card. Letters, of course, are even more personal, but it's been years since I received one, and I don't keep e-mails in the same way.
I have no doubt that I'll feel the same way about the names on the cards I look at in a few years... the days with that New York running club, the Canadians in NYC, and my friends from Jersey. Remembering my Birthday at the Beer Garden in Queens, trying to stay out until midnight to celebrate my real birthday with the last few that hung on that long.
And I did, just barely, and then headed out with them at 12:20 AM. One day it'll all be just a good memory.
* * *
And with that, I feel like I'm finally done with the Beer Garden. It's gotten too trendy, too crowded, and the waiting-in-line thing in order to sit casually outside with a beer is just too much for me. I actually felt sorry that I picked the place, with some friends waiting for an hour to get in. That's a pretty selfish way to spend a birthday. I need a new favourite place to enjoy a cool one with friends.
Today, the 15th, was my actual birthday. It's also National Ice Cream Day, FYI, so really, can it get any better than that?!
Anyway, amazingly, I was up at 8:45 AM. I felt tired though, so after sending a few e-mails and doing a few minor chores, I went back to bed for another hour and a half. I got the Mom and Dad call at noon, right on schedule, and we chatted for almost 20 minutes, which is longer than usual. I got a few more birthday e-mails and online greetings and send a thank you to my friends for coming out last night, and an apology to the ones for whom the wait was too much. From there I headed down to Union Square. I treated myself to a little b-day late-lunch at a diner and headed into work for a few hours, and then back uptown to do some grocery shopping before heading home.
I was supposed to get together with a friend for dinner, but he left me a message saying he couldn't make it and would have to give me a rain check.
So that's basically my birthday. Quiet and solo, but that's okay. Actually, that's pretty representative of my life, so it seems to be a fitting way to spend the day.
I'll end it, though, on a more adventurous note: a couple of friends and a movie. That would be me, Sam Adams, and Jason Bourne. And ice cream, of course.
Happy Birthday to me.
Labels: birthday, daily grind, social life


6 Comments:
Well dang, I'm going to have to start sending you cards. Thanks for sharing your birthday with so many of us.
Happy actual birthday. I feel the same way about cards (and letters, but as you said, those have become all but obsolete). I used to hang onto them for years and years, but when I moved from Chicago to NYC, I chucked a bunch of them, along with a bag of letters I'd been holding onto since 1990. But first, I read through every last one of 'em, which triggered some amazing memories, just as you describe. I think it's sad that letter writing has fallen by the wayside; it really can be an art form.
As for the Beer Hall, I'm with you. Been there, done that, don't want to wait in line ever again. But it was great to be there finally and see what all the brouhaha is about.
Glad you had a great birthday night. Happy belated. At least your parents waited till noon to call you. Dad calls me at 2:45am, the time I was born.
I agree with you about the Beer Garden. I live very near by and haven't been there for years. Too bad.
Happy Birthday! That is really nice that you keep all those cards.
Sorry to be so late in saying - Sorry I did not make it to the beer garden last week - got frequent updates on the line situation and decided against a long subway ride to and from just to get caught in a line. Maybe next year!
Happy Belated! Sorry to hear the beer garden wasn't what you expected. It was a good idea though.
<< Home