Registration Man
Back on April 27th, I took the leap - I signed up for my fifth marathon; my third NYC marathon.
However, keep in mind when you read that, out of the last four marathons that I've registered for, I've only done one. After Vermont, I got injured and couldn't do Chicago in '06. I did New Jersey the next spring, and then got injured again and couldn't do Chicago the following year either. Then a minor foot injury a few weeks ago set me back in my Boston training, so I bailed on that one, too. Granted, I just lost about three weeks of training for Boston, and could have probably finished the race, but I don't value being under-prepared for that kind of distance. It just wouldn't have been enjoyable at all.
So all this registering and not running hasn't gotten me very excited about training. Still, I'm putting a clock on the blog to countdown to NYC '08.
I've been running well these days. I've set four new PRs in three distances: the Ten Mile, the Four Mile and the Half. I sort of get a kick out of my new PR for the Half Marathon: I did 13.1 miles in 1:31:13. This only beat my Queens PR by 2 seconds, but I'll take it.
Actually, despite the PRs, I do think I was running better/stronger two years ago up until the Queens Half. I was putting in more mileage and my runs just seemed to be of better quality in general. However, now I'm being more careful about injuries, taking time off (well, usually) when things start to really hurt. I might not be running as strong as I was, but at least this approach keeps me running instead of on the DL. Better to be on the roads running carefully than to not be running at all.
So as it is, I'll just keep registering for these things. And hopefully I'll get to do one once in a while.
However, keep in mind when you read that, out of the last four marathons that I've registered for, I've only done one. After Vermont, I got injured and couldn't do Chicago in '06. I did New Jersey the next spring, and then got injured again and couldn't do Chicago the following year either. Then a minor foot injury a few weeks ago set me back in my Boston training, so I bailed on that one, too. Granted, I just lost about three weeks of training for Boston, and could have probably finished the race, but I don't value being under-prepared for that kind of distance. It just wouldn't have been enjoyable at all.
So all this registering and not running hasn't gotten me very excited about training. Still, I'm putting a clock on the blog to countdown to NYC '08.
I've been running well these days. I've set four new PRs in three distances: the Ten Mile, the Four Mile and the Half. I sort of get a kick out of my new PR for the Half Marathon: I did 13.1 miles in 1:31:13. This only beat my Queens PR by 2 seconds, but I'll take it.
Actually, despite the PRs, I do think I was running better/stronger two years ago up until the Queens Half. I was putting in more mileage and my runs just seemed to be of better quality in general. However, now I'm being more careful about injuries, taking time off (well, usually) when things start to really hurt. I might not be running as strong as I was, but at least this approach keeps me running instead of on the DL. Better to be on the roads running carefully than to not be running at all.
So as it is, I'll just keep registering for these things. And hopefully I'll get to do one once in a while.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home