Sunday, June 01, 2008

Montclair 10k

Today I ventured out to Jersey to do a 10k in my former town of Montclair. When I set a new PR (42:36) at Healthy Kidney a couple of weeks ago, I felt like I could do better, so I signed up for this one. The course is much flatter than Central Park, so I was almost banking on it.

Unfortunately, a PR was nowhere to be found. The course is flatter than Central Park, but it takes a lot of turns, and it was already 70 degrees by 9 AM, a half hour before the start. The sun was a killer. I started much too fast, and by mile four, that extra energy began to catch up with me. I finished with a measly 43:03, which is a 6:56 pace, only three seconds off my half marathon PR pace... Ugh!

And I wasn't well-rested for the race. Although I took the day off yesterday, I did a 15 mile long run before heading to the Flyers' Happy Hour Friday night. I should've just run an easy 6 if I wanted to PR.

That said, I've never done well in this race, and for the most part, neither have many of my friends who have run it. At the end of the event, one of the veterans mentioned to me that few people ever set PRs in that race and he's "always thought the course to likely be a bit long". I'm beginning to think that might be true.

Anyway, it is what it is. Perhaps I'll try another 10k later in the fall, when I'm (hopefully) better trained.

Despite my race performance, it was great to be wearing my Essex singlet again, and to see my fellow club members on their home turf (or asphalt, as it is). I also saw a few Flyers who live in the area, and in general, just had a good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home